I was a bit late to the party in employing tools for my other kiddos as we furiously tackled doctor’s appointments, therapies & procedures. Thankfully my kids weren’t shy with letting me know their feelings of being lost in the shuffle, but it was when they were older. Grace washes over each of us & we salvaged much. But, I do regret I didn’t have eyes wide open earlier on in our family’s journey.
So dunk your toe in the waters of strategies & care of each sibling who may be feeling a lack of support. Sometimes we cannot fuel their needs as we’d like to but there are organizations & others who can help us think outside the box or take that role in your kiddos’ lives.
- Nemours: Caring for Siblings of Kids with Critical Illnesses is a great starting point for understanding the sibling dynamics & various unique needs.
- The Sibling Support Project offers a plethora of resources from their ‘SibShops’ to books
- Navigate Life Texas for Siblings of Kids with Disabilities is a great site with an overview, links & additional resources
- Living with a Brother or Sister with Special Needs covers clinical information in easy to understand terms with certain conditions, circumstances & information that leaves lots of room for hope & little room for pity.
- The Sibling Slam Book is a frank compilation of insightful questions & answers from various siblings of kids with special needs.
Organizations and Other Help
Ask a Complex Care Doctor, Rehab Doctor or other Social Worker to help you find local organizations that may offer in-person sibling support groups, camps or forums to help your kiddos become healthy, happy siblings of a kid with critical needs.